Friday, May 28, 2010

Summing up the issue

I just read a forum on the Internet about a mom who is frustrated with the current illegal immigration issue and has decided to remove all Spanish cartoons from her home. She hopes to bring new cultures to the table for her children to learn about. Now before you go saying that she must be racist or full of hatred, as some of the people commenting on her story have called her, she went on to say that she herself CHOSE to take Spanish when she was in school, but nowadays she feels that the language is being forced down her kids' throats. What ever happened to learning another language? In this global economy, in this future world of mixing cultures, why aren't other languages being taught as much? Well, because so many immigrants these days are coming from Mexico. However, the problem lies with those who never learn the language of our country; English. So here below is something one of the commenters wrote to help explain the current issue with these illegal immigrants. I liked how she described it, or rather, how she heard it described by a radio program. And I think it's a good way to explain things. It rather sums it all up.


"I don't have a problem with spanish speaking people. I have a problem with spanish speaking illegals PERIOD. I heard a scenario the other day on the radio that described the situation perfectly. You wake up in the middle of the night to find a person in your home. You did not invite them and they have broken into your home. You tell them to get out- they say "no". You call the police- they show up, take him away. The next night, the same individual is in your house again. Except this time he has brought a bunch of angry looking protestors to sit on your lawn and yelling that he "deserves to be there in your home". This time he has moved in, he is eating your food, moved your things out on the lawn, and expects you to speak his language. You start to call the police, but he threatens to let all the protestors out on your lawn inside if you complain. That's the exact scenario I see happening in AZ. I'm not letting this scenario into my house."

2 comments:

InsomniacByChoice said...

I'm very well off financially and have a very nice house, almost a mansion, really. A lot of people including myself think it's the nicest on the entire block, in fact. My extended family lives in it with me, and we do our best to take care of our home, because we all have to live here together, you know? We have our fights now and again, but we get along pretty well, all things considered. None of this is the problem though, so let me quickly get to what it is.

In the lot next to us is a kind of ramshackle house inhabited by a large family who I think are squatting there, but I don't really know. To be honest, I really hadn't ever talked to or thought much about them until they started coming over into our property and living in our backyard. When I found out about it, my immediate reaction was just to tell them to go back to their own place to live, but then I found out that my Nephew Jim had been giving them a share of his allowance to do his chores for him, and my Aunt Tracy has been feeding them in return for helping her dig holes for her garden. Considering that some of my family wants them around, I can't just bar them access completely, but I still don't like the idea of them staying in my backyard all the time. When they're out in the sun all day they have to use my water hose to keep themselves from becoming dehydrated, but none of them pitch in any money to help me. I know they're contributing to making my house better, but my water bill is going through the roof. It's starting to actually drain my money, I think. That's bad enough, but unfortunately, there's much more.

One day last month my Uncle Dan got liquored up, went out side, and told the neighboring family "we" were going to kick them all off of our property then build an electrified fence at the edge of our estate so none of them could ever come back here. And then he said that he'd whup the butt of anyone in our family who tried to help them with anything. The family from the lot didn't appreciate that very much, and said they were all very hard workers who were wanted to stay here. According to them, my grandfather had stolen the property from their grandfather years ago so they had just as much of a right to be here as anyone, and were just as much of our family as anyone, although they identify with the their own family quite a bit. But they think they have the right to be a part of ours and get treated the same as everyone as soon as they're on my land. Uncle Dan and some of his kids reiterated that their willingness to handle the matter physically, but we wisely ignored them. However, my sister also supported sending the other family back to its own place, at least to sleep there every night. I'm used to Uncle Dan being an idiot, but my sister has a good head on her shoulders so I couldn't just write her off, too. Everyone in my family kind of took sides over it over the course of the month and a bunch of bad feelings got brought into it.

InsomniacByChoice said...

Everything came to a head earlier this week when a bunch of them refused to do anything around the house, I guess to prove they wanted to be here and do stuff around the house. Or something. I didn't actually notice it, but I was told that other people in my family were affected by not having the help they were used to. Of course a bunch of the people from the lot didn't do anything different than usual, so I really don't know where they stand, any more than I know where my family stands.

A couple of other things aren't directly related but they seem to factor in somehow, as well. First, I realize just looking at the lot and what's left of that house that it's not a nice place to live. But at the same time, my backyard is starting to look more and more like their lot. It's still better, but if they all come here and try to live off of my family and land, it won't stay that way for long, and like I said, even as things are now it's a drain on me. Second, there are other people who want onto my land or into my house for reasons much more dangerous than just wanting to work and get money or benefits. Stopping them from getting in seems like a good idea, in general. Third, as big a family as we are, we add a lot of people every year through marriage and adoption, and while it takes a lot longer than walking across an arbitrary line on the ground, most of everyone considers them family immediately. Except maybe Uncle Dan, but he's ignorant so we let it go. So some of the people that are in the family through the long route don't appreciate others coming here the easy way.